Or, welcome to my low-maintenance heck.
Apparently, this childhood taunt is a fitting depiction of European bureaucrats, who are busy trying to ban incandescent bulbs
throughout the European Union. Of course, in typical Enviro-nazi fashion, the ban is being pushed without much of a valid reason. To wit
- The "Compact Fluorescent" bulbs which the European Commission is pushing are no more efficient than incandescent ("standard") light bulbs over a long period of time
- "CF" bulbs can't be placed in enclosed light fixtures, microwaves, refrigerators, etc, which makes them somewhat of a hassle for homeowners
- The "non-steady" light put out by the "CF" bulbs takes longer to reach full strength, and after it does, it produces a flicker that is noticeable for a large portion of the population
- These "environmentally friendly" bulbs are manufactured using mercury vapours, which are already considered "environmentally unsafe" in a landfill, and thus requires an expensive recycling process
- It's been said that the life of a CF bulb is shortened significantly if it is switched on and off regularly, in the same manner as a "standard" incandescent bulb
Of course, if Europe wants to bankrupt itself in the name of some ill-defined and unreachable "principle," who am I to say that they should stop?